1. You can earn more
Year on year, UNISON wins pay rises for its members. Average earnings are around eight per cent higher in unionised workplaces.
2.You’re more likely to get equal pay
UNISON is campaigning to bring women’s pay into line with men’s. Workplaces with union recognition are 20 per cent more likely to have an equal opportunities policy.
3. You get more holiday
UNISON has won increased leave for many of its members wherever they work.
4. You get more and better training
UNISON provides courses to help you learn new skills, improve existing ones and develop your career. Since 1994 UNISON has won agreements with employers to pay for courses and provide time off for employees to attend them.
5. You get more maternity leave or parental leave
If you belong to UNISON, your employer is more likely to have parental leave policies which are more generous than the statutory minimum.
6. You’re less likely to be injured at work
UNISON health and safety stewards are trained to minimise the risk of workplace injuries and ensure that employers meet their legal obligations.
7. If you do get injured at work, you’ll get better compensation
UNISON wins millions in legal compensation for people who are injured or become ill at work. We won over £37 million in 2004 for members and their families.
8. You’re less likely to be discriminated against
UNISON campaigns for tougher laws to make it illegal to discriminate on the basis of sex, race, age, disability or sexual orientation. Black and Asian trade unionists earn 32 per cent more than non-unionised colleagues.
9. You can help keep our public services public
UNISON campaigns against all forms of privatisation, including PFI and foundation hospitals. Where our members have been transferred to the private sector we have won them pay and employment protections.
10. You’re less likely to be sacked
Trade union members are only half as likely to be sacked as non members.
Ready to join?
- Download a new member application form
- Request a form to by calling us on 0845 355 0845. Lines are open 6am-midnight Mon to Fri and 9am-4pm Sat.
- Apply on-line to join by Direct Debit