1. Support for Branch Officers handling Life Long Learning and Activist Education –
This year we have scheduled two Regional learning events to attract Branch Officers and learning reps one was successfully held in Liverpool earlier in the year and the next is on 12th October at the Holiday Inn in Preston. This will be a feature of the calendar next year – we are thinking of a Cumbria venue and a Cheshire venue – please let us have your suggestions.
The Guide for Branch Education Coordinators gives helpful tips about getting started.
2. Two new Branch Co-options on the Regional Learning and Organising Committee –
We welcomed Ceri Lewis Shaw from the Bridgewater Health Branch and Mags Abbott from the Cheshire West LG Branch to our recent meeting held 10th September and both made valued contributions from the off, especially during discussion about time off issues for training. We will shortly be writing out to branches with advice and guidance but please read UNISON’s Facility Time: Guidance for Branches – its free to down load or order hard copies from the on-line catalogue on our national website – http://acrobat.unison.org.uk/acrobat/20520.pdf
3. UNISON Tutor Training – is in two parts – firstly Discussion leading and then secondly an underpinning Equalities Module – Please note the next episode of Discussion leading takes place
10-12 December in Liverpool
Following special requests – in 2014 we hope to run this also as part of our Saturday Learning club courses.
4. Budgeting in the Branch for Education – the committee plans to issue guidance about branch budgets for both Life Long learning and Activist training in the branch. Hopefully this will give you some ideas about how to go about budgeting -which you can use and amend as appropriate
5. Training for New Stewards – At this year’s national delegate conference our general secretary made mention of each new steward receiving training in their first week. Plans are now place to offer all new stewards during their first week after being placed on rms the chance to take a FREE on-line introduction to UNISON this will be in the form of an E-Note (a maximum of 45 minutes screen based learning – which users can take in 15 minute modules) this offer will be followed up in the North West during the next three weeks of the reps being placed on rms with our normal letter giving notice of forthcoming face to face learning and asking reps to liaise with their Branch Education Coordinator for further details,
As soon as we know the exact content and process for the E-Note we will issue guidance.
6. New Courses for 2014 –
Organising Skills – a three day course to bring you up to date with new Organising techniques
Mentoring Skills – a three day course to raise your awareness of Branch mentoring schemes and how to implement them in your branch
Representation Skills – this three day course is a follow on course for new stewards replacing the former courses Casework in UNISON, Handling Grievances and Disciplinaries and Representations skills 1 and 2
Employment Law Modules – 7 one day modules – one day a month
Check out the dates for courses in 2014 on our course calendar and in our course catalogue
Chair: Ruth.Wigmore@lancsunison.co.uk 13 September 2013