The Mentoring in UNISON workshop 7th March 2015 – What Went On?
Around twenty five people squeezed into the Woods room at the Mechanics Centre in Manchester (11 – 11.45) – the workshop was very tight for time, but we did attempt to follow the programme as outlined below. The group completed two tasks – sharing their experiences of mentoring as part of an introductory session and then in a new group applying their minds to one of the five scenarios – their three top ideas are reproduced below. Participants took away with them copies of UNISON’s documents Supporting Activists in the Workplace and the Trained and Active Plan.
|Scenario One – New Workplace Reps and Stewards
|Scenario Two – New Workplace Contacts
|Scenario Three – Stewards who have completed formal initial basic training
||Scenario Four – New Branch Officers
Scenario Five – Out of date ERA certified stewards
MENTORING – 45 minute work shop
- Minutes 1-5 Introductions and workshop overview – splits activity Gender/mentors and mentees/Big or Small Branch/ Q’s and concerns – what do you want to know – posits or notes to self.
- 5-10 What is mentoring? Mentor/ buddy/coach ideas in UNISON
- 10-20 Who should be mentored? and who should be the mentors? in UNISON – the TAP materials
- 20-30 what needs to be in place – intro from workshop leader – what would mentors do in these scenarios – discussion groups stood at flip chart on wall write /draw key discussions points.
- 30-40 Feedback about key tasks and processes at branch level
- 40-45 Review and next steps – Take sample TAP materials / desk-pad – complete expressions of interest -
- Run this work shop at your branch development day or indeed inside a branch committee or
- Get a Mentoring One day course off the ground- in programme and at branch level –
- Scenario 1 – los and activists from the branch have recruited 10 new stewards
- Scenario 2 – local organisers and branch activists have recruited 10 new workplace contacts
- Scenario 3 - 10 new stewards have just completed their initial basic training
- Scenario 4 – 10 experienced reps have outdated ERA status
- Scenario 5 – 5 new branch officers have recently been elected (they’ve come up through being recruited by the organising team and are stewards too in their work place)
UNISON NORTH WEST – Expression of interest
My Name is ———————————————————————————————–
My Branch is ———————————————————————————————-
My mobile number is ———————————————————————————–
- A similar workshop being run in my branch
- A one day course to help us set up a mentoring scheme in the branch
- A two day – Mentoring Skills course for those who want to become mentors in the branch
- Something else – please specify
Return to Helen Titherington, the Regional Education Officer,
UNISON North West Regional Centre,
1 Hunts Bank,
Manchester M3 1UN